Lab Tech Lab Specialist
NEW YORK, NY 10276 US
1. Demonstrates the ability to perform clinical/technical/service/administrative tasks.
2. Performs technical procedures in Molecular Pathology, Tumor Cytogenomics, Flow Cytometry as outlined in the policy and procedure manual(s).
3. Performs periodic/scheduled and as needed maintenance on instrumentation/equipment. Maintains documentation including remedial action for problems encountered.
4. Performs quality control and calibration procedures when indicated; verifies in laboratory information system; records on Levy-Jennings charts; signs QC logs.
5. Ensures that all required Quality Control and/ or calibration procedures are completed by signing out the records appropriately- per shift/daily/monthly etc., a) All QC are logged in the LIS and indicated on the Charts when needed)Signs all QC Logs.
6. Maintains all records as per the regulatory requirements: card files, patient requisitions, LIS Documentation, statistical data.
7. Consults with the Supervisor or the Pathologist, if needed, on all important results, conflicting or out of range (recognized patterns specified in policy) results. Notes inadequate volume and/ or abnormal appearance of sample
8. Reviews all Critical Test results by repeat analysis if necessary, and communicates the same to Nursing Staff/ Physician every time. Supervisor/Pathologist is always notified in extreme cases. Enters the details of the Critical Value communication in LIS.
9. Prioritizes work activities to meet the established/expected test result turnaround time. Always notifies Supervisor if cannot perform a test or it is delayed.
10. Assists in Inventory Control to assure adequate supplies (QC, reagents, calibrators and other consummables0 are available and reagents are stored properly (temperature sensitive). Supplies are dated appropriately when placed in use.
11. Participates in other projects/duties as assigned by the Supervisor/ Lab Management.
12. Takes initiative in resolving instrument related problems and finding alternate options for test processing
13. Uses available time to departmental advantage and assists where needed.
14. Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care, based on physical, psychosocial, educational, safety, and related criteria, appropriate to the age of the patients served in assigned area.
15. May be required to perform other duties as assigned or perform other duties when necessary
17. Participates in the department s performance improvement activities.
18. Maintains patient/employee confidentiality in the management of information.
19. Observes the Health Care System s compliance policies.
20. Participates in Competency and Proficiency testing programs, reports results back to Supervisor.
21. Observes all Safety procedures and precautions: a) Uses Personal Protective Equipment such as Lab Coats, gloves, mask, shield etc., b) Disposes off contaminated waste and samples as specified by the hospital and laboratory manual.
22. Wears hospital ID badge at all times while on premises.
Schedule Notes:1 Evening shift (3:30p 11:45p every other weekend)
NYS Clinical Laboratory Technologist license required prior to offer
Skills: Participates in the training of other staff members. Meets regulatory, licensure and annual health assessment requirements. Identifies learning strengths and needs Utilizes learning resources. Participates in continuing education. Attends at least four continuing education sessions a year. Excellent in oral and written communication since there is a daily communication with external public like doctors, nurses, medical secretaries, etc. Ability to solve problems involving specimens; Patience and finesse in the telephone Demonstrates a professional, courteous, and respectful attitude in dealing with patients and their families Promotes team approach and clear communication for problem resolution in a timely manner. Communicates suggestions/ new ideas for improving work performance/ operations. Displays courtesy, tact and patience during interactions with all members of the laboratory, hospital staff and extended community.
1. Exerts up to 10-15 lbs of force
2. Must be able to work on dead bodies or body parts
3. Must meet the general requirements of the Medical Center as defined in personnel policy 13.2
4. Maintains a neat and orderly appearance and be punctual in attendance
5. Follows the policies of Medical Center
6. Works with and handles Biohazard (TB, HIV, Hepatitis, etc.) and toxic chemicals
7. Tolerates allowable limit of chemical odor
8. Follows written and verbal instruction accurately and with good judgment
9. Learns new procedures as required
10. Maintains orderliness and cleanliness in working area
EXCELLENT WRITTEN AND VERBAL COMMUNICATION SKILLS
Education: B.S. in Medical Technology or equivalent education to meet NYS DOH technologist standards. ASCP preferred or NCA certification.
Speak, Read, Write
Job Category: Indir.PatientCare-NonClinical-Professional